When you know it is time to get an eye exam done, the first thing that you are worried about is the cost of the exam.
As there can be several tests conducted to diagnose any underlying problem, you are skeptical. Instead of simply worrying around, you can call up your eye doctor and ask about the usual costs involved in an eye exam near me.
You can check out with your insurance agents or documents, whether the eye exam costs are covered or not.
Eye Exam Cost
You can get an eye exam near me from an ophthalmologist, optometrist or optician, an eye clinic or a medical clinic. The cost of the eye exam will depend on various factors including the following:
- Where you live
- Whether the exam is performed by an ophthalmologist or optometrist
- The tests included in the exam
- Any contact lens related services involved
The cost of an eye exam near me can start from $50 and goes up to $250 or more depending upon the number and type of tests involved.
You must remember that the cost of any eye exam for prescribing or fitting contact lenses is more than the routine eye exam that is conducted to prescribe or update your eyeglasses.
What the Exam Includes
The cost of an eye exam near me depends upon the tests included in the exam. The following are the routine tests that must be included in an eye exam:
- Review of your eye problem with relation to your personal or family health history
- Evaluation of your near and distant vision with an eye chart
- Evaluation for the presence of farsightedness, presbyopia, nearsightedness, and astigmatism.
- Testing for near vision problems like presbyopia and whether you need bifocals or progressive lenses
- Eye pressure test to rule out glaucoma
- Test of the eyes internally to rule out problems like macular degeneration or cataracts
In case you are a candidate for contact lenses, you might have to undergo some further tests.
It is always better to ask what all tests are included in the fee mentioned to save yourself from any shocks later. Many eye doctors include the cost of the tests in their quotes while others simply mention the base testing fee and charge extra for any further tests.
You must shop around to get the eye exam near me done by the best eye doctor that not only charges reasonably but is reputed and experienced as well.